Further Education and Training
Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) plays a pivotal role in developing a knowledgeable and skilled citizenry able to contribute effectively to the social and economic development of the country.
Key government plans, strategies, accords and the Green Paper for Post-school Education and Training recognise the central role of FET colleges in addressing skills shortages and advancing economic growth in South Africa.
Propose measures on how to strengthen and support FET colleges in expanding access for approval of the Human Resource Development Council (HRDC).
The TTT identified short, medium and long-term priority areas. While some of these areas are already being addressed, mainly by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), the TTT continues to work alongside these sectors to ensure successful outcomes.
The priorities identified are as follows:
- Ongoing professional development of lecturers
- A systemic audit of FET colleges
The following are the medium-term priorities as identified by the TTT:
- Strengthening and accelerating partnerships with industry and FET colleges
- The design and implementation of Programmes Qualifications Mix (PQM).
- Role differentiation and relationship creation between organised labour, student representative organisations and government
- Labour market research on growth areas, including the informal sector
- Review of National Certificate Vocational (NCV)
- Monitor impact of PQM
Due to limited capacity and resources, The Technical Task Team will maintain supervision of the medium and long-term priorities indicated above. The TTC has also undertaken to work closely with DHET on these issues.
- An analytical report outlining factors impeding access and quality in FET colleges; possible interventions to address the identified constraints; roles and responsibilities of various social partners in increasing access into FET colleges
- A detailed plan to expand access and improve quality with identifiable milestones and funding requirements