South Africa has no clear collective vision on an integrated, accredited and non-accredited worker education and training framework. As a result no national coordinated and integrated Policy and Legislative Framework is available to guide and support the implementation of worker education and training.
The HRDC sought to develop and implement appropriate measures on how to improve the provision of an integrated, accredited and non-accredited costed National Worker Education and Training Framework and Implementation Plan.
The Worker Education Project proposed a Worker Education Framework underpinned by the three pillars of worker education namely:
- Worker education:Where the focus is on the understanding of worker rights and interests, through their membership of trade unions, and the advancement of their socio-economic-political wellbeing as the working class;
- Employee training: Where the focus is on the training and development of employees’ skills within their workplace, sector and in the broader society; it includes vocational training that advances their careers and which places them on par with workers in developed economies; and
- Joint worker/management education: Where the focus is on the development of joint education and training programmes which address the issues and realities of workers and management, and their organisations, with a view to understanding the different perspectives and approaches, and exploring whether there is common ground.
The aim of the Worker Education project was seen in the context of allowing progression in human resource and skills development and vocational education and training in equipping recipients/citizens with the requisite human resources and skills to overcome related scourges of poverty, deep inequalities and unemployment, for the consideration and approval of the Human Resource Development Council of South Africa (HRDC).
Download Worker Education Project Reports;
- Final Project Report of the Worker Education Project
- Worker Education Framework Final Research report – 15 August 2014
“>Worker Education Framework Research Report
- Closeout Report for Worker Education Project – September 2014
“>Closeout Report for the Worker Education Project
- Worker Education – presentation to Council – 15 August 2014
“>Presentation of the Worker Education Project to the HRD Council